Canoeing @ Rubislaw Quarry
Take part in a truly unique outdoor experience in the heart of the Granite City with an outing on the water at Aberdeen’s historic Rubislaw Quarry.
This is the first time that the public have had access to the quarry since it closed in 1969! Surface granite was collected and used as early as 1680 from the Hill of Rubislaw before quarrying began in 1740 and at over 140 metres deep, the quarry was once ‘the deepest man-made hole in Europe’.
Adventure Aberdeen is delighted to offer this new and exciting activity for groups of up to eight people aged five and over.
Come and discover Aberdeen’s hidden gem for yourself!
Alternatively, please call us on 01224 270990.
Sessions are one hour long, instruction, canoes, paddles and buoyancy aids are provided. Please note that canoeing sessions will run on Saturdays and Sundays.
Activity access restrictions
Please note before booking that there is no wheelchair access to Rubislaw Quarry. Unfortunately, due to access restrictions, we are unable to welcome customers who are unable to tackle steep slopes or rough terrain for the time being. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause, and we are working on developing our access route.
Activity meeting point
The access gate is across the road from 177 Queen’s Road and the instructor will meet you by the wooden steps. Parking is on Queen’s Road or opposite on Rubislaw Park Road. Please be considerate to local residents when parking.
Important – Please Read Before Booking
- Activity sessions are one hour long.
- All children should be accompanied by an adult unless specially arranged.
- Participants should be able to swim.
- Participants should arrive wearing comfortable outdoor clothing and trainers that may get wet.
- No changing facilities are available at the venue but changing ponchos will be provided for privacy.
- There are no toilets at the venue.
- Participants should bring:
- Spare change of clothes for after the activity in case you get wet.
- Spare pair of shoes or trainers
- Any medication required such as inhalers
- Sun cream and hand sanitiser (optional but advised)
- Water/Soft Drinks (optional but advised)
The meeting point for this activity is Rubislaw Quarry. The entrance is opposite Rubislaw Park Road. Please be considerate to local households when parking and arrive 10 minutes before the session starts.
(Click to enlare)