General Information & Guidelines
- Suitable swimming costumes must be worn during swimming lessons: girls should wear an all-in-one costume and boys should wear trunks/swimming shorts which are above the knee.
- Children with long hair must have it tied back or wear a swimming cap.
- No jewellery (with the exception of stud earrings) or watches are to be worn.
- Teachers are not responsible for personal belongings and no items of value should be brought to the poolside.
- Goggles may be worn at the discretion of the swimming teacher.
- Swimming nappies must be worn during lessons by babies/toddlers who require these.
- Swimmers clothes should not be left unsecured and must be removed from the changing cubicle for the duration of the lesson. Any items left in in the cubicle, whilst not in use may be removed and placed in lost property.
Expected Standards of Behavior
- All swimmers must behave in a way that is not disruptive to other swimmers, teachers or facility staff.
- Any conduct that is deemed disruptive or affects the safety of others will result in the individual being removed from the lesson and potentially from the aquatics programme.
Supervision of Children
- All children should be accompanied into the facility to confirm that lessons are going ahead before leaving.
- Parents of children under the age of 8 years old must remain at the pool while lessons are taking place, and the child must be supervised throughout the building at all times.
- Swimming teachers are only responsible for swimmers during their swimming lessons this does not include the changing rooms before or after lessons.
- Parents/guardians must ensure they are on time to collect their child after lessons: children will make their own way from the poolside to the changing rooms where they should be collected/supervised as necessary.
- In Adult and Child classes, one adult must be present throughout the lesson to supervise each child.
- Parents/guardians must ensure that any siblings of swimmers are fully supervised at all times within the swimming pool building.
- Children under 8yrs can use either the male and female changing rooms as long as they are closely supervised at all times by the appropriate parent for that area. Children 8yrs and older must use the appropriate changing room.
Swimmer illness / Infection
- If your child is unwell, we recommend that you do not bring them to their lesson. Again, if they have had any sickness or diarrhoea within the last 48 hours they should not attend.
- You do not have to contact the aquatics team to report illness unless it is to be long term period that the child may be absent.
- Credits or refunds will only be considered under exceptional circumstances: for example, where a pupil suffers a substantial period of illness or hospitalization that can be supported by medical evidence. No refunds/credits will be backdated beyond the date of notification.
Health & Safety around Swimming Pools
- Parents/guardians are respectfully requested not to walk on poolside with their children (except Adult and Child classes)
- Lesson participants should always walk while on the poolside and never run.
- Swimmers should look to arrive on poolside no more than 5 minutes prior to the lesson starting.
- Lesson participants should only enter the pool as directed by the swimming teacher.
- All pool areas must be kept free from obstacles for health and safety reasons and we would appreciate parents’ vigilance in this area.
- Parents or adult participants must inform Aquatics Aberdeen of any conditions which may affect the enjoyment or safety of the participant.
- Parents, relatives or friends of the swimmer are permitted to spectate at a number of Sport Aberdeen pools, however, should a spectator be distracting a swimmer the spectator may be asked to leave the pool area.
- No photography, filming or electronic devices are permitted to be used in the swimming pool area in accordance with our Child Protection policies. If you use an electronic device such as a mobile phone on poolside then you will be asked to leave the pool hall.
- Please do not distract the teacher while they are teaching: if you are looking to discuss your swimming lessons please contact the Aquatics Coordinator.
Booking and Admin
- The following classes run during school terms (generally finishing on the Sunday at the end of each term) – Adult and Baby, Adult and Toddler, Adult and Child, Pre- School A, Pre School B, Adults (day-time only)
- The following classes run all year round except for; Good Friday, Easter Sunday, May Day, 2 weeks over the Christmas holidays – Swim Skills 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3, 4, Club Ready, Lifesaving Classes, Adults (evening and weekend classes only).
- Clarification of classes operating during the holidays can be found on the Sport Aberdeen website under aquatics timetables.
- Predominantly all swimming lessons are paid via Direct Debit and have a minimum contract of 4 months.
- Adult and Baby/Toddler/Child and Pre-school classes can be paid in blocks of 10 sessions, where customers top up towards the end of the 10-week period. Once a pre-school child moves to the swim skills classes they will need to transfer onto a Direct Debit package.
- The payment of block classes will automatically take into consideration any credits, cancelled sessions, bank holidays and school holidays. If a top up payment is not received by the start of the last paid class, the swimmer will automatically be removed from the class and the space will be opened for other customers.
- It is the responsibility of the parent/adult participant to ensure that Aquatics Aberdeen hold up to date contact details: Payment/change of class correspondence is primarily through email so it is extremely important that we have a current email address to benefit from this correspondence.
- Once payment has been made for swimming lessons, refunds or credits will only be considered under exceptional circumstances: for example, where a pupil suffers a substantial period of illness or hospitalization that can be supported by medical evidence. No refunds/credits will be backdated beyond the date of notification.
- Swimming pools are venues that can be affected by last minute closures. While every effort will be made to contact swimmers prior to travelling, if this has not been possible the team apologise for the inconvenience caused. If a class has been cancelled in advance, notice will be given via email or text alert.