SPACE (Supported Physical Activity for Care Experienced) is an innovative, award-winning project that supports care experienced children and young people within Aberdeen. Using the positive benefits of sport and physical activity the SPACE project helps children and young people learn, develop and achieve.
The SPACE Project
SPACE is the evolution of the ‘Looked After Project’ which began in August 2016 in partnership with Aberdeen City Council. This partnership allows Care Experienced Children and Young People to improve their physical health, emotional wellbeing and enhance key life skills.
The Priority Families Project
Sport Aberdeen and Action For Children partnered up in 2019 to appoint a Project Activator post. The additional support from this post allowed the project to offer a wider range of resources to meet the needs of the families. The families to whom Priority Families support often have fewer opportunities to participate in sport and physical activity, which frequently results in negative outcomes leading to health inequalities.
SPACE and Priority Families are child- and family-centred projects which use the following 5 approaches to create individualised programmes for each of our children, young people and families.
- Our project activators work in a 1-2-1 or small group setting based on the needs, likes and aspirations of the child or young person.
- We work in partnership with Aberdeen City Council’s Virtual School to support children and young people as part of their Wider Achievement Programme, including provision of leadership activities.
- Referral to the project can be made here.
Free Sport Aberdeen Memberships
- Sport Aberdeen provide FREE memberships to all care experienced children and young people and their families to be used across all Sport Aberdeen facilities.
- To access a free membership email us or speak to your Active Schools Coordinator.
Active Schools Clubs / Activities
- All Active Schools clubs are FREE with priority spaces given to care experienced children and young people. If you are interested in attending an Active Schools club contact your local Active Schools Coordinator or email.
- If a child or young person is placed out with Aberdeen City we will work with local authorities, sports trusts and Active Schools to ensure support is continued.
- ‘Get Active’ Holiday Camps – FREE spaces for Care Experienced Children and Young People to participate in multi-sport activities at Sport Aberdeen venues.
- ‘Food and Fun’ – We support participants to access and enjoy sport and physical activity through this Aberdeen City Council led project.
- Volunteering, work experience and employment opportunities through Active Schools and the wider Sport Aberdeen network.
- Accredited qualifications and certification through the Active Schools Leadership Programme, Personal Achievement Awards, First Aid and sport specific courses.
- Further education opportunities through the Active Schools Leadership Programme, providing a pathway onto NESCol Sport and Fitness Courses and University degree programmes.
- Opportunities to access FREE or discounted spaces across Sport Aberdeen’s Coached Programme.
- Project Activators will work with children and young people to identify and develop key skills such as confidence, resilience and communication.