SPACE (Supported Physical Activity for Care Experienced) is an innovative, award-winning project that uses the positive benefits of sport and physical activity to help care experienced children and young people (CECYP) reach their full potential through bespoke interventions.
What is the SPACE?
SPACE is the evolution of the Looked After Project which began in August 2016 in partnership with Aberdeen City Council. As a corporate parent, Aberdeen City Council currently has responsibility for over 450 CECYP living within the city and throughout the UK. The project aims to remove barriers and support participants to improve their physical health, emotional wellbeing and enhance key life skills, using the power of sport and physical activity as a catalyst for positive change.
Free Sport Aberdeen Memberships
- Sport Aberdeen is dedicated to its responsibilities as a corporate parent for CECYP, with this in mind we have promised that all young people in care will receive the appropriate free membership for their age.
- Over 250 free Sport Aberdeen memberships have been accessed by CECYP, their families and carers.
- There is an online form that can be completed by the young person, their carers, education, social work or other support services.
- Email us about memberships: email@example.com
Active Schools Clubs
- The local Active Schools Coordinator will encourage and support young people to feel included by offering FREE access to extra-curricular activities with their peers.
- Links will be made with other local authorities, sports trusts and Active Schools networks to ensure that CECYP placed out with Aberdeen City continue to have access to local provision.
- A range of free daily ‘drop-in’ sessions at Sport Aberdeen venues during school time (Mon-Fri term time only).
- These are not coach-led, but there is an opportunity to access the facilities as part of an alternative curriculum.
Access to Active Schools activities
- Got any questions? Check out our FAQ’s document.
- Bespoke programme of 1:1, small group or leadership activities based on the CECYP’s needs, likes and aspirations.
- We work in partnership with Aberdeen City Council’s virtual school to remove barriers for CECYP and this support can form part of their alternative curriculum.
- CECYP can be referred to here.
- Volunteering opportunities, work experience and employment opportunities through Active Schools and the wider Sport Aberdeen network.
- Accredited qualifications and certification through the Active Schools Leadership Programme, Personal Achievement Awards, first aid and sport specific courses.
- Further education opportunities through the Active Schools Leadership Programme, providing a pathway onto NESCol Sport & Fitness courses and University degree programmes.
Coached Sports Programme
- FREE weekly places reserved for CECYP within our coached sports programme, providing an educational environment to develop activity skills such as swimming.
- ‘Get Active’ Holiday Camps – FREE spaces for CECYP at citywide venues.
- Food and Fun – we support participants to access and enjoy sport and physical activity through this Aberdeen City Council led project.