Community Sports Hub
What is a Community Sports Hub?
A community sport hub is a local collective of sports clubs and other community organisations that come together to improve the contribution that sport and physical activity has on a community. Leaders from these organisations work together to develop active communities where everyone benefits from sport and physical activity. The community sport hub approach is to support and empower local people to improve sport and physical activity in communities across Scotland. It starts with understanding the needs within a community and then collaborating to facilitate and deliver activities and interventions.
They bring together sport clubs and key local partners who want to develop and grow the sporting offering in the community. They focus on sustainable, community-led approaches that get clubs working together to develop welcoming, safe and fun environments for sport. A Hub can be based around local facilities (e.g. sports centres, community centres, the natural environment and/or schools) or can be a network of sports clubs sharing best practice and CPD.
Each Hub will be unique but the common thread is that each hub works to the following five principles:
- Growth in participation
- Understanding community needs
- Supporting community leadership
- Offering a range of sports
- Ensuring all the appropriate groups are working together
- Increase in club membership (some hub clubs have seen membership increase by 30-40%!)
- General better access to local sports facilities
- Developing links with schools to improve participation pathways
- Additional access to training opportunities for coaches & volunteers
- Share ideas and network with other sports clubs within the local community
- Increasing the profile of the club and attract new coaches & volunteers
- Albury Community Sports Hub
- Dyce Community Sports Hub
- Garthdee Community Sports Hub
- Lochside Community Sports Hub
- Mid-Deeside Community Sports Hub
- Northfield Community Sports Hub
Interested in being part of a hub?
If your club would be interested in becoming part of a Community Sports Hub, please visit our website or contact us.
T: 01224 507691